Monday, September 28, 2009

A mouse ate my Mickey Mouse playing cards!!!

Alright, that's enough, it's time to declare war with my not-so-neighbourly mice! I tell you! I've had mice in my kitchen, living in my food cupboard, and even crawling in my bed... in my bed!!! And, the other day, I discovered that my cute little deck of Mickey Mouse playing cards, had been chewed to bits by none another, than Mickey's little brothers! How could they?


I have tried traps, and sticky boards, the old bucket of water trick, but nothing is as effective as the sticky glue, now decorating the floor in the corners of my house... cause it's time for war... enough is enough. So far, I've caught five mice since I've been in Cameroon, and there's lots more to go. They live in my roof, I can hear them having conferences every night. It's like they're plotting a new and interesting way to disturb that blonde girls' sleep. They've chewed through tupperware to eat my bread! They've left droppings in my closet! They've had races like elephants on my ceiling! It's as if they wait, just until the moment when I've almost fallen asleep and then they decide it's time to wake her up and scurry and rummage and squeak, squeak, squeak.


When I found one was living amongst my food cupboard, I emptied out the entire thing and cornered it behind some cans, then with a swift movement, gragged it with some newspaper and glue... and ewww... it was with its friends, the cockroaches... I screamed. Yup, I screamed... and went outside, arm-outstreched holding the sticky newspaper and the mouse stuck to it by its tail. I yelped to my neighbour: "Hey Francis, where's your cat?"


Just the other night. One decided to visit very early, my lights were still on, I was reading comfrotably in my bed. And then, I heard a little sound and looked up. A mouse had come in my window and was resting on the top of my curtain. Then, mission impossible style, he slid down my curtain and ever so gracefully and every so fast, he scurried under my bed! Under my bed! You think I got any sleep that night? I budged at every noise. I set out some newspaper with peanuts in the middle and a circle of glue, left my door open slightly, hoping he would go into the other room. By 3:00AM, I could hear the squeak squeak... of a mouse stuck, glued... doomed. Okay, this is rather grose... I'm a cold hearted person apparently, but really, perhaps you would understand if you had mice in your bed too. I folded him up, put him in a plastic bag and took him outside and squished him, yup I squished him. Ewwwww. I know.


But no more of these mousy shinanigans. I will outsmart them. They may outnumber me by the hundreds, but I am bigger than them. They maybe faster than me, but I am cleverer. They may be able to fit through tiny, random holes, but I have duck tape! I'm going to invite all the neighbourhood cats over to my house for a feast. I will go up in that roof and tell them who's boss. I will set traps and poison and sticky glue everywhere. And, from then on, I will sleep peacefully. And my rice and my crackers and bread and my tupperware and any other delicious looking paper will be safe.


Or, I will just have to get used to them, let's face it... they are faster and smarter than me.