Monday, September 28, 2009

Common Cameroonian Speak...

“Smol Tyme. (Small time.)” – This means... see you soon / shortly.

“Goodmorning.” – Okay, we all know what this means... but here, it is said no matter whether it is morning, afternoon, or night.

“Nobody knows everything, nobody knows nothing.” – Interesting concept...

“Ashia.” – I hear this ten times a day... and even I’m saying it all the time now... it seems to have many meanings, with no direct translation to English... it could mean ‘hello’, ‘goodmorning’, ‘thank you’, ‘sorry’, ‘in solidarity with your struggle / work’.

“Whiteman!!!” – Okay, I’m cheating on this one I guess... it’s just me and all the other ‘lighter-skinned’ people around here that hear this... seems the locals like to remind us we’re not black!

“Not so?” – Meaning, isn’t it true?

“You are going.... you are back.” – I’ve noticed a habit of people, sort of stating the obvious... every day, when I leave for work, my neighbours’ remark: ‘you are going’ and I reply: ‘yes, I’m going... see you later!’ And, when I return from work, they remark: ‘you are back’ and I reply: ‘yes, I’m back’. This same conversation occurs every day.

“You are welcome.” – Cameroonians are very welcoming... whenever you meet someone new or attend an event... many people will say this to welcome you and make you feel at home.

“We are together.” – A common and important phrase... it emphasizes a certain solidarity, that we are all paying attention, that we are working and struggling together.