Monday, April 19, 2010

Travel

Travel…

December 10, 2009

So, I went to the bus stop to buy my bus ticket at 6:00AM, then returned to catch the bus that was said to leave at 8:30AM. However, they then realized it was “Clean Up Campaign” Day, so everyone is ‘supposed’ (key word) to be cleaning up the city and no vehicles were allowed on the road, so we would not be departing until NOON! So, I sat around the smelly bus station until then. And, after a long, hot, sweaty ride, made it to the bustling, beautiful city of Douala. Spent the day there, touring around a little and enjoying some local delicacies, primarily seafood. Then headed to the airport... utter caos. No clear line ups. No clear signage. One thing after another, so many stops just to get out of the country. When weighing your bags, you had to fight to keep your spot in line and convince the ticket people that no, it is a bus I’m taking from Montreal to Ottawa, not another airplane... sketchy... my bags did make though, amazingly. Thing was, the flight was delayed by three hours, so I was again, stuck sitting around this crazy, hot airport, for an additional six hours!!! And, no food or water allowed in the lounge, of course, so had to sweat it out in the hallway instead... I was think’n... just get me outta here!!!