Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Arrival in Yaoundé, Cameroon!


When I stepped off the airplane... finally arriving in Yaoundé, the capital city of Cameroon... it felt so good, like I had arrived home, the cool fresh air, the lush green hills covered in banana trees, and the persistent taxi-men... bargaining over who would take me! They say Cameroon is like a mini Africa... from thick jungle, to coastal beaches, to desert, to savannah, to Mount Cameroon (the highest peak in Central Africa)... it really is a place to explore.

I spent one week in the bustling city of Yaounde, getting used to the yellow taxis that fill the streets, checking out some local artwork, watching the thousands of bats that fly overhead, tasting the yummy plantain chips fried in so much oil, watching the huge clean-up operation in the main market in preparation for the arrival of the Pope... craziness, and... getting to know the other VSO volunteers from all parts of the world. A good introduction to the country I’ll call home for the next year.

Just pondering all the new challenges and experiences I will encounter, once again in Africa....
Hope you will enjoy following my blog and I look forward to feedback and comments and stories from you as well.