Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Just a few recent events... fun, fun, fun...

Meet some of my neighbours: Sarah (Australia), Liliane (Argentina), Suni (Cameroon), Rosio (Chile), and Yvette (Chile). We spend lots of time together in the quiet Bamenda evenings, as they live just across the street. You can usually find us munching on snacks, playing Frisbee, or watching a Spanish soap opera on television. One day we all got dressed up in our fancy, traditional African wear and headed to a musical concert at their church. It was a colourful evening, full of loud and intense music, dancing, and drumming... an indescribable atmosphere of joy and faith, demonstrated by the congregation.

That’s me and Bamenda’s Canadian crew: Eric, Marcy and Karly; on Canada Day. We gathered all the VSO volunteers and friends, to celebrate the day with bean burgers and salads. We even made them all wear red and white and maple leaf tattoos too! Us, Bamenda-residing Canadians.... I even found an African dress with red maple leafs to mark the occasion. They said I was really becoming Cameroonian, especially because I carried over a big pot of potato salad on my head!


These are some of my colleagues from the NWADO crew: Desiree, Lovelyn, Gwen, Julius, and Eric. I had them all over to my place for lunch one Sunday afternoon. Plenty of food and laughs, and even more wine! Cheers!

And this one’s my birthday... I turned 2! We actually had a VSO workshop that day, so at lunch we had a nice big, vegetarian meal. This is a bunch of the VSOers and my Cameroonian sisters that made the cake! It was delicious... who knew you could find a cake like that in Bamenda?!